Serenity Bowl, Breckenridge
Horseshoe Bowl, Wolf Creek
Mirkwood Basin, Monarch Mountain
Highland Bowl, Aspen Highlands
Palmyra Peak, Telluride
Union Peak, Copper Mountain
Safety in the sidecountry
- Ski with a partner, as help can be far off
- Wear avalanche safety gear, including a beacon, shovel and probe
- Bring lots of water and dress in layers so you can remove your outer shell while hiking
- Pay careful attention to signs. Some ski areas have gates into the backcountry that will lead you not to the bottom of a lift but into a harsh winter wilderness
- Don’t enter closed areas. Ski patrol may be conducting avalanche control up here and you could wind up on the wrong end of one.
- Step aside for faster hikers behind you. Mountain town locals literally race each other for fresh drops in the upper bowls.
Source: Read Full Article